Monday, November 1, 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival

A little late to the party, but nonetheless I wanted to partake in Amy's Blogger's Quilt Festival.
It is always a great source of inspiration to me and so fun to participate in the frenzy of it all!
So this time around I have my circle quilt(s). It was a commission for a brother and sister. Adorable! Mostly made up of Kaffe Fassett fabrics with a little Amy Butler and Tina Givens thrown in. They are both twin size.
I must say with alllllll the circles I cut (108 fabric circles per quilt + 108 interfacing circles per quilt x 2 quilts = 432 circles!), the sanity lifesaver award goes to the Olfa rotary circle cutter. It was about $20 at JoAnn and worth every penny. Also using Steam a Seam for the interfacing was totally fantastic as it is sticky on both sides. Very helpful for eyeball placement on the squares and ironing. No, I'm not getting paid for this (but I'm certainly up for it!) just giving my helpful tips should you attempt a circle quilt in your future.
Something new to me... I went big on the binding. I cut my strips a whopping 6" wide. I love it. Especially with all the craziness of the busy fabrics going on, it kind of doubles as a border, giving the eye a place to rest. Ahhh...
And the brother quilt, which is also mostly Kaffe Fassett with a little Joel Dewberry in.
Orange flannel backing worked well. I was a little hesitant how flannel would do for free motion quilting, but it was a total champ. I taped and basted these suckers like never before! And it paid off - not one wrinkle or a pucker here.
Thanks for visiting me for this installment of Blogger's Quilt Festival! See y'all next year for more quilty fun. I predict a baby quilt in my future about that time of year. wink wink!





16 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made it to the party. These quilts are just stunning. I love them and I bet the boy and girl did too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molto bella la tua trapunta!
    Ciao Domenica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilts - I'm so happy to see circles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore circles and circle quilts - yours are just beautiful. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, Really like both of your quilts and both colorways. Excellent!! Hugs, Joanne @ http://lavenderfieldsetc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't think I liked the blue one as well as the pink, but now I think I like it even better !

    Oh, I just MUST make a circle quilt !

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an enormous task that must have seemed. They are both wonderful quilts. I sometimes do a wide binding too. Its like adding another border.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, these are beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a lot of circles! They're both great:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A ton of work, but totally worth it! Both of them are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two beautiful quilts, wow cutting so many circles! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. really stunning quilts! how could you place them on the ground???? I would keep them in a glass fronted cupboard to treasure them! :-))))

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Sew lovely of you to comment.