Sunday, October 27, 2013

Kind of milestone

I'm about to be 35 years old. 

I think I'm ok with it.  Actually I really am very ok with it.  I finally feel like I know who I am.  This wife-mother-quilter thing is really feeling good. 

For a long time I wasn't comfortable in all these new roles.  What's it like to be a wife? How to live in a house with someone 24/7 and not get completely irritated with all their junk?

And then this baby comes along and well... talk about junk... I'm totally not a fan of clutter and enormous baby items.  But it all evened out when I found the Goodwill donation center.

At the storage unit where we store all the... stuff

So now here we are at 11 years of marriage, 3 sweet kiddos, 1 loveable doggy and I think I finally found my groove.  My favorite things right now:

*Making bread for my fam (a batch of 4 loaves usually get us through the week)
*Making yogurt and granola (kinda making this every day right now)
*Getting a new cookbook and going bonkers making everything in it (Really losing myself in Smitten Kitchen right now)

 
*Waking up early and sewing.  As Christa Wells said: creating in the margins doesn't make you a marginal artist. 

*Running on Saturday mornings with my good friend
*Starting to attend calligraphy meetings with my oldest daughter (she's so talented at just 7 years old!)

 
Life is so exciting and God has blessed us with so many opportunities.  None of them earth-shattering.  I mean, cooking, running, and sewing are not new to anyone but pursuing them alone and with friends make life so rich. 

I have a friend who doesn't really have any hobbies or interests.  It drives me crazy.  I want her to see this life so full and abundant.  It doesn't have to be crazy or death-defying.  We're healthy and young-ish (some would debate that) and able to learn something new. 

So if you have been thinking about taking up the fiddle (also on my list), learning a new language, or going for your first run: go do it! Get out there! Create, pursue, LIVE!

I tried to make pajama pants at Sewing Summit last month and failed miserably.  I will try again.  But it was cool to realize that I'm not good at all sewing (or even a lot of sewing).  Pretty much just quilts.  And that's ok!  It's good to find a niche and settle in comfortably, right?  Just find something you like and go do it.  Some will work out and some won't, but for goodness sake get moving and explore this great big beautiful world!



What are you waiting for?!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Sew lovely of you to comment.