Thursday, July 30, 2009

What to do?

While the parents were in town, mom and I hit up an estate sale. It was wonderful, but I was crying way too much. Not like sobbing or anything (not at the sale, anyway), but I kept getting way too emotional and had to wipe my eyes a few times as to avoid the raccoon look. When I see old & loved things at these types of sales, I start wondering who these people were/are, what their lives were like, what kind of parents they were, etc. I got this very old Bible which was tied with twine to keep it together.

And then when I got home, I opened it up to find...

1892?! Wow, I was really surprised. Then the tears came... Just thinking of how this Bible may have been used in several generations of souls. Was this a family of Christians, did they use this Bible to teach their children the Good News of Christ? You can see how it is broken into three sections above, the pages are very fragile and the cover is on the verge of completely disintegrating.
Anyway, I don't know what to do. I really am not the person to keep things for investments, increasing value, yadda yadda yadda. (Hoarding fabric for several years for a special project that may or may not reveal itself to me is a whole other story!) Should I get it bound so that it is usable? (Maybe it's way too fragile for that anyway?) Should I just put it away, even though that kind of drives me nuts? Any other ideas? Anything?

2 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful find! I wouldn't hide it away, but maybe you could find someone to fix it up a little. The price would be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the sentimental type, wanting to preserve items that were in my family. It wouldn't hurt to just inquire how much to keep it together. Coming from a long line of Christians, this Bible must have played a very important part in at least this Christian's life.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Sew lovely of you to comment.