Wednesday, April 28, 2010

One Million Pillowcase Challenge

We did it! Somebody showed! Actually, lots of somebodies showed!

From the instant I saw American Patchwork and Quilting's site about sewing pillowcases for local charities, I was excited. Their goal is to donate 1 million pillowcases to various charities. I love their description:

"A pillowcase can provide comfort for a cancer patient, hope for a foster child, encouragement for a battered woman, or beauty for a nursing home resident."



So I organized a night of sewing for anyone. Newbies, not-so-newbies, anyone who wanted to come and learn. Sewing machines were donated by my friendly churchladies which was a huge blessing. Many women showed up who have never sewn before and do not even have a machine at home. How cool is that!



We were able to donate over 20 pillowcases to a local charity (Our Ronald McDonald house). What a rush to have women of all ages and stages of sewing skills come together to help, learn, and sew. Everyone encouraging one another and sharing a laugh over sewing machines. I definetly recommend you organizing a night of sewing too. It was so good for the soul in many ways. My dream is to meet regularly, making new charitable projects and teaching new skills, encouraging mothers and daughters to come together....
I can't wait for our next go at it!


1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing philanthropist and an inspiration to us all! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Sew lovely of you to comment.