Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Quilt as you go

The LOVE quilt is about to be the victim of a new (to me) quilting method.


After reading Penny's blog and her Quilt-as-you-go (QAYG) tutorial, I've decided to give it a try. I have enough pieces for the quilt top now. The final size being a standard double, most of these "pieces" are about 2' x 3'.

I've read up on a lot of different methods for QAYG. Some recommend sashing between blocks which I will not be doing on this crazy quilt. Some also give instructions for quilting the backing with the top and batting. That would be great for another quilt, but it won't work for the backing we have planned for this one. Mostly because the fabric design does not lend itself to being pieced:



Penny's tutorial described quilting the top and batting first - actually piecing the quilt onto the batting. Well, since my piecing is done, I think I'm going to take all of these wonderful methods and make my own!

I love that about quilting. I can try new things, get tips from others, and even if I fail miserably... the seam ripper is always close by.

1 comment:

  1. Delurking here as I'm so intrigued by how you are going to quilt. Please please let me know. I've been scared to try quilt as you go as I'm sure I'll mess it up somehow! cheers Shev

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Sew lovely of you to comment.